Saturday, 9 October 2010

Had a few days off this week and with the Mrs busy at work had 3 days of fishing planned! First off was Wednesday. Was up early and off to my favourite estuary mark to fish 2 hours down to low. Had a go with the Spindleworms, not a sniff though (not sure if the local fish like Bovril ?). Ended up hooking and losing one fish on a giant Xlayer(Ayu), frustrated I went home shortly afterward. Stevie had the next 2 days off work also, so needed to do a bit a planning as the conditions weren't looking great. We set off at 5.30 the next morning and ended up on the North coast of Cornwall. We arrived to some decent swell on Boobies Beach and little wind. I took this Bass on an IMA Sasuke 120 in Red and Gold, that went 2.8lb on the Bogas and fought like he was at least double the size.

Within an hour the cross-on shore wind had picked up and was making fishing pretty annoying. as we we're local Stevie wanted to check out Ben Field's shop Art Of Fishing in St. Merryn. Ben and his partner Jo are proper nice people and took the time to chat and show me some of the Tenryu range he has in stock down there. The Injection is beckoning me, I can feel it!!

We tried a couple more spot's in the area that day, after Stevie almost getting floored by a BIG wave we decided to make the journey back up the A38 to Plymouth. While on the way back, it was arranged that we'd hit my favourite estuary mark again the next morning.

Arrived at the said mark by 8am and were met with a clear sky morning and a very swollen river mouth (5.8m local tide... Pretty big!). I've fished this place successfully with SP's, but never used plugs or hard lures, so when Stevie suggested sinking plugs (Jackson Athlete SS), it kind of made sense in this ultra fast water. Wading out into waste deep water that is snorting past you at a mega rate of knots is an exhilarating experience and something I just love. After only 2 casts I hooked into a fish and lost it within a few seconds, Stevie had cast and drifted his lure drifted into the same place and he was into this little fella.

Possibly the smallest Bass I'd seen taken on a lure. The tide was dropping rapidly so I positioned myself a little further down and clipped on a Giant Xlayer(Ayu) with a 10g head. I didn't have to wait too long before a fish snatched the Xlayer as it bounced along the bottom.

With the water moving so fast, I had a real fight with him as he used to current to his advantage. This saw me running down the bank to keep parallel as I didn't want the force of the water to pull the hook. Great fun!! With no more fish showing and low water fast approaching, we moved across to the opposite side of the beach to explore some gullies that we hadn't previously fished.

Stevie was first into a fish, tempting a scrappy little fish on a Feed Shallow(black and Gold?.

The fish took the lure while it was lying motionless on top as Stevie moved back on the rock to avoid a wave. This prompted me to pull out the Patchinko, but didn't get a sniff, so on with the subtle and slinky Z-Claw (Pink Lady) and within a couple casts had a 1.2 and 2lb fish succumb to her powers. Nice thrash and splash take from the 2nd fish, great fun.
The tide had turned now, so back over to the river to try and catch them on the way back up. Various tactics employed saw no fish until 2 hours in and and unfamiliar take and fight on the Xlayer. Felt quite strong and was using the tide and staying deep. Then just as I got it close, i could see it was a Flounder(my first on SP's!). Was a nice plump fish and guesstimated at 2lb.
Stevie pulled out another small Bass and we decided to call it a day. Not exactly the two day Bass bonanza we had been hoping for and we never saw the lunker we had been anticipating, but still a good couple days on the Coast.

No comments:

Post a comment